[Techtalk] XP with Linux

Staci scorcora at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 13 16:38:40 EST 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Akkana Peck wrote:
> I avoided grub for a long time, just because I already knew how to use
> lilo.  But I've switched to grub on any new machine I install.  Why?
> Because I like to install several different linux distros on a machine
> (that way I can try out a new release without risking my working one,
> or I can compare how well two different distros work on the same
> hardware), and grub is MUCH better than lilo at that.

Just for the record, I've had no such experience.  My lilo.conf has had up to 4
distros at one time, when _I_ was checking out others, and I never had a problem,
and I do believe I've seen more on a friends' machine.
(But none compared to Slack, too much behind-the-scenes stuff, "here we'll fix it
for you!  you don't need to know how or where!" crap.)

Perhaps lilo has changed since you last used it?

sl