[Techtalk] XP with Linux

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Jun 14 00:34:43 EST 2003

On Friday 13 June 2003 22:31, ed orphan wrote:
> Is it possible to install both Windows XP and
> Red Hat 9.0 on the same hard drive and
> have them boot from GRUB ?

Despite the warning during the install, I have installed RH9.0 with GRUB on a
dual-boot XP machine with no problem.  Just install GRUB in the MBR, and it
all should be fine (or at least, that is my experience).

> I've downloaded the HOWTO files dealing
> with a Linux and Windows install but they
> do not cover XP. It's 95/98.
> I'ver heard that XP has some new file system
> that Linux can't access. Is this true?

AFAIK, write access to NTFS from Linux is still 'experimental', but I believe
that the NTFS resizing tool is now considered pretty stable and 'safe'.  See
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html#ntfstools

Otherwise you can either use Partition Magic or a shareware utility called
BootIt-NG (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/) to repartition the NTFS
partition.

Cheers,

Rasjid.