[Techtalk] ln and unmounted directories

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Thu Jun 5 13:47:51 EST 2003

I have a backup directory that, for safe keeping, I don't mount unless I
need something from it. It has a copy of my kernel, some kernel patches,
config files, etc. Instead of only copying files into that directory I'm
thinking about creating a set of files with hard links. I'm not sure if
this would work though.

1) The files would only be in sync if the safety directory was mounted.
To keep them in sync could I mount the safety directory whenever I updated
a config file?
2) If the original file was deleted, what would happen to the files in the
safety directory?

The files I'm thinking about are not in my home directory:
XF86Config-4
httpd.conf -- apache
main.cf -- postfix

Any ideas on how to keep a current copy of these files handy?

thanks!

emma <-- post inode error I'm almost entirely back up and running within a
day or two. The only things left are software related (hopefully):
printing, usb and cd burning are still untested.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]