[Techtalk] Moving project to different cvs repository

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 28 08:56:08 EST 2003

Quoting tiera <tiera at hotpop.com>:
> what I'm wondering is if it's possible to move the project from the
> cvs repository on computer 1 and put it in the repository on
> computer 2 and still keep all the revision history?

Not a problem. Make sure that you don't have any uncommitted work in
any of your working copies of the repository you want to move. Then
tar up the repository on computer 1 and move it to computer 2. Untar
it as a directory under computer 2's CVSROOT. Then you will need to
make fresh checkouts of your working copies of the relocated
repository so that the working copy is looking in the new location for
the version control info.

e.g. your repository directory structure should look like:

BEFORE

Computer 1

/usr/local/cvsroot
	CVSROOT
	project_1

Computer 2

/some/other/cvsroot
	CVSROOT
	project_2

AFTER

Computer 1

/usr/local/cvsroot
	CVSROOT
	project_1
	project_2

(CVSROOT is the directory containing the version controled
configuration files for your repostiory)

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu