[Techtalk] Cleaning up after Red Hat kernel upgrades

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Jul 28 21:47:29 EST 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003, Berenice wrote:
> I use RH 8 and have upgraded my kernel a few times through the Red
> Hat Network update service.  I want to get rid of all of them, except
> the latest one. Can anyone tell me how to delete them properly?  I'm
> worried about removing the wrong files.

Don't remove files at all, remove packages. The RPM package database will
have kept track of which files belong to which kernel packages, so that
you don't need to worry about it.

You need to run an rpm query command (can someone help out here, is it
"rpm -qa kernel" ?) This will list all the kernel packages to install.

To remove a package, you need to run this command as root:

rpm -e [package name]

I would leave the last two working kernel versions on your system at any
time though, for safety.

-Mary