[Techtalk] Disk recovery?

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Mon Jul 28 01:12:37 EST 2003

Hello,

I've a 60G disk from a friend that he could'nt read anymore. Linux
basically tells me that lba sectors 0 up to and including 6 are
unreadable. In other words, the most important sectors have gone to
bitheaven.

Considering that he had (has?) at least half a year of intensive work on
that disk, I have 2 questions:

(1) Any suggestions on how to get data from that disk with the following
provisos:
      - its circuitry is at least partially to HW heaven as well, i can
only get it working as slave, not as master (not recognised on the bus
with no other device present)
      - So it may well be that the platter is OK, but the circuitry is
not, resulting in the found problems
      - I have no clue as to what the partition layout was (only that is
was all M$ FAT32, and several paritions).
      - (because of different projects) i happen to have several disks
lying around that are big enough for a dd copy.

(2) Any suggestions for a european data recovery center / company?

Cheers,

Rudy

P.S. owner is not on the copy list, and has been told loudly and clearly
that he's a fool for not making backups