[Techtalk] Partitioning issues.

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Jul 26 21:32:24 EST 2003

Something as a last resort, and I'd leave it as just that: a last
resort!

Set the partition flag to something sane, like windows95 or windows 98
(there's a typo with windows96).

IF the partition is small enough to fit on some linux partition, copy an
image of the partition to a file. I know this works with Slackware, if
not, then ask someone experienced with dd:

cp /dev/[bad-partition] /linux-partition/bad-partition.raw

You might try mounting the image and see if there is anything there or
not.

Use windows to set the partition flag, and reformat the partition. Then
copy the image back to the partition from linux:

cp /linux-partition/bad-partion.raw /dev/[bad-partition].

Then check to see if it mountable and the data is there.

I've done this once with some success, but DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP! It's
a LAST DITCH effort for recovery ONLY.

Good Luck!

Alvin