[Techtalk] Re: [Newchix] hi

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Fri Jul 25 23:45:05 EST 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Staci wrote:

> Actually, the "screen=600x800" thing didn't work for me, it ws the
> refresh rates that were wrong. My monitor isn't THAT old...maybe 5
> years?

Hmm, this looks a little like a framebuffer thing, I'm not on newchix
though, so i don't have any idea on the background :)  Feel free to fill
me in on it :)

Do you know what refresh rates your monitor supports at what resolutions?

> Kinda weird they've got all that other hardware detection down, and
> they can't deal with monitors, huh?

Actually, monitors are easy to do hardware detection with, you just use
DDC, and then the monitor can tell you all about itself.  By the magic of
the X DDC module, a nice monitor, and Xfree86 4, I haven't had to generate
a single modeline for years.

Good luck :)

Maria