[Techtalk] Dell laptop with external monitor

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Tue Jul 22 13:14:31 EST 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:29:06PM +0200, tiera wrote:
> I have a question here. I'm using my Dell Latitude c840 with Redhat 9
> and can't get my external monitor to work when I start X. In text mode
> the external monitor works fine, but as soon as I start up X the monitor
> goes black.

Maybe you've tried these links already, but I thought I'd throw them
out here:

a linux-dell-laptops thread with a question similar to yours; the
suggested solution (if your XFree86 is new enough) is Option
"Display" BIOS"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/message/5611

a freebsd-mobile thread with another question similar to yours;
someone suggests that it's due to incorrect information about the
monitor in the XF86Config file
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=Dell+laptop%2C+external+CRT&list=163

a response from a Dell staffer on the linux-poweredge list; the
suggested solution is Option "extern_crt"
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-August/009220.html

a Dell Inspiron user's XFree86 setup
http://goatee.net/reviews/dell/inspiron-4100.html#XFree86

a Dell Latitude user's XFree86 setup