[Techtalk] Dell laptop with external monitor

iriXx dev_null at iriXx.org
Tue Jul 22 13:44:28 EST 2003

you might also be interested in joining the linux-dell-laptops list
they are a Yahoogroups one so i presume the page is www.yahoogroups.com/linux-dell-laptops (cant remember where i signed up from!)

hth

m~

On 22 Jul 2003 20:14:25 +0930
Robyn Manning <rmanning at adam.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> There are some extra settings in the man page for XF86Config and one of
> them is BackingStorem, this and others may be relevant.
>
> hth
> Robyn
>
> On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 19:59, tiera wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I have a question here. I'm using my Dell Latitude c840 with Redhat 9
> > and can't get my external monitor to work when I start X. In text mode
> > the external monitor works fine, but as soon as I start up X the monitor
> > goes black.
> >
> > Now, I've run the X configuration tool and it finds and correctly identifies
> > the external monitor, but still no success. Network adapter and everything
> > else connected via the docking station works fine. I've read a few
> > guides on howto get this monitor to work, but they don't work for
> > me. I've made different XF86config files for docked and undocked
> > situation, but without success. Eventhough Xconfig correctly identifies and
> > sets up the external monitor, it still goes black when I start X. Any clues?
> > If I check the logfiles for X no errors are found. It seems that X believes
> > that everything is fine, eventhough no picture is displayed on the external
> > monitor.
> >
> > rgds,
> > /tiera

 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     HTTP 503: Too Busy

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are
subtle and will piss on your computer."
-- Bruce Graham

Musicians say No to RIAA Persecution and Prosecution of Music Lovers!

Sign the petition at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/

 .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.