[Techtalk] conceptual CVS

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sat Jul 19 01:05:41 EST 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:27:39PM -0700, Cynthia Kiser wrote:
> The suggestion of splitting your files so that the common files all
> live in one directory and the server specific ones all live in their
> own directories, and then setting up the repositories to match that is
> the cleanest. Is this totally impossible?

Not totally impossible. I would need to shuffle most of the files around
though. For example the easiest thing to do would be to make php/ the
"config" directory and then make a new directory for the workhorse files.
All of the servers already look to php/ so I *could* change all my
include/require statements to point to a different directory using a
variable holding the path in the cfg.php file. A little find and replace
perl script might do the trick (provided I make a backup first).

> To deploy, I think that the "find based on mod time | tar" sounds
> promising - but be sure to exclude the CVS directories to avoid
> confusing anyone on atlantis who thinks they can trust the information
> in them.

Right. It would be nice to combine the find based on time one with the
publish-to-many hosts script that Travis wrote. Unfortunately 1/3 servers
seems to have RSA keys disabled, or perhaps I just don't understand how it
works on a Solaris machine. I've emailed that sys admin to find out if I
can use public keys or not.

Thanks for everyone's ideas! It's very helpful.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]