[Techtalk] Adding an icon to xterm?

Hans Tegnerud hans_tegnerud at chello.se
Sat Jul 19 01:28:58 EST 2003

Does anyone know if it is possible to add an icon xterm and similar
(non-Gnome) applications that show up in the task-list?

I'm so frustrated with the task-list showing that stupid blank page for
every program that doesn't seem to have a foot in Gnome... It makes it
real difficult finding the window I need.

In the MS Windows world you would embed an icon (or several) in the
executable as a "resource" and refer to that icon for this purpose. I
got a feeling this is also true with X applications as xprop showed this
for xpdf (which, I admit, isn't linked against gtk and thus doesn't look
like it cares at all if it's run under Gnome or not):

WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
	bitmap id # to use for icon: 0x420012h

Any clues?

/Hans