[Techtalk] conceptual CVS

Elizabeth Barham lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Fri Jul 18 13:41:55 EST 2003

Cynthia writes:

> > I just tried using rsync via ssh with a directory on my site that
> > doesn't have rsync running as a daemon and it worked fine.
>
> It doesn't have to be running as a daemon, but I am pretty sure it
> does need to be INSTALLED on both ends of the connecting (sending
> and receiving side).

You are correct. Thank you for pointing this out.

Another method Emma may want to use is making a diff of the changes
she made and then sending the patch up to her servers. ssh is able to
run a single command as opposed to providing a shell so possibly:

cvs diff > new.diff
scp patch.diff wherever:~/public_html/scripts
ssh wherever "cd ~/public_html/scripts && patch < new.diff"

You can also tag an entire set of CVS files with some identifier, such
as "RELEASE_0_1" and later on have cvs generate any changes from
RELEASE_0_1.

Elizabeth