[Techtalk] conceptual CVS

Elizabeth Barham lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Fri Jul 18 02:12:16 EST 2003

Cynthia writes:

> Well Emma has already replied that rsync is not an option as that
> would require her to have the admin's install rsync. I was
> suggesting she circumvent the "needs admins" by installing the cvs
> binary in her home directory. That gives her the cvs client and
> server - but if she does not set up a repository on any of the
> machines she does not admin, then I expect no one to be the wiser.

>From rsync(1):

       Some of the additional features of rsync are:

       o      can use any transparent remote shell, including rsh
              or ssh

Emma mentioned she is currently scp'ing her files onto the server and
since scp relies upon ssh I assume that is available as well. I just
tried using rsync via ssh with a directory on my site that doesn't
have rsync running as a daemon and it worked fine.

Elizabeth