[Techtalk] conceptual CVS

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Thu Jul 17 20:21:35 EST 2003

Hi everyone:

I bought Jenn's most excellent _Essential CVS_. The explanations of how to
do things are great. I highly recommend the book. Unfortunately it doesn't
have enough for me in terms of sample system configurations. It mentions a
few different configurations, but I'm still not entirely sure what the
best way is to set up my specific system.

I have three web sites that all use the same
code, but have different configuration files, templates and CSS files.
Right now everything is a bit of a mess and I have to scp files up to
individual servers as I make changes to them. What I'd like to do is set
up one central (local) repository for all the "code" files (it's just php scripts)
and then have different (local) sandboxes that I can test on my laptop
with the right configuration files. This way I'd be able to start my work
on any one site and then when it works for that site check the file into
the repository, update the other sites (local sandboxes) and test for the
new sites. Then when I know that the code works across all the
sites I'd want to "publish" the code files up to all three web sites.

There are specific configuration files that have different content
for each site. I think this means that I *don't* want these files in the
central repository (or I should create a "branch" for these files?).

I'm going crazy trying to maintain everything the way it is now.
Unfortunately there's no one server that should be considered the central
server (politically) which means I think it's best to have the central
repository be my laptop. I'm thinking about using sourceforge.net,
but again the politics of having it on another server are beyond
what I feel like dealing with right now.

What do people think about this set up? Does anyone know how I could push
the finished files from my laptop to each of the servers? Jenn mentions
that people use CVS to manage web sites, but I'm not sure what the best
way is to push updated files to a server that doesn't have CVS on it (it's
possible the servers do but the politics of getting it installed and then
the wait time for the overworked sys admins would push me past my
deadlines).

Thanks!
emma

--