[Techtalk] report on shiny new Thinkpad, or, Windows sux worse than ever

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jul 11 22:13:18 EST 2003

Ok, here's the preliminary report on running Linux on a brand-new Thinkpad R32
from "Boy Do We Heart Linux" IBM.

In a single phrase: Microsoft has attained new levels of evil with OEM
installs. And shame on IBM for going along with them.

It's a dandy notebook, with the usual good IBM quality. It appears that
everything is supported in Linux- modem, wiFi, sound, power management. BUT-
and here's the big but- setting it up to dual-boot is darn near impossible.
First off, there are NO software CDs included. Nada. zero. Zip. None. Not
even a recovery CD. There is a recovery partition on the hard drive, oh
that's a good idea. :P However IBM will ship a recovery CD, free, on request.

(Why, you ask, do I even care about Windows XP? Because, grasshopper, my
clients use it, so I probably ought to have a smidgen of familiarity with
it.)

There is zero flexibility. I tried creating a partition to install windows on,
leaving room for a Linux install, and the damn recovery CD ate the whole hard
drive.

So I ran my faithful Knoppix disk- for those who have not tried it, it's a
heck of a great Linux- and used Qtparted to shrink the windblows partition.
Here's dirty trick number two: winderz cleverly puts some files waaaaay out
at the end of the physical disk, which defragmenting does not move. So it
takes up the whole freakin disk anyway. So Qtparted cannot do its job.

I suppose I can dredge up a copy of Norton Speed disk, or something similar,
to cram all the files together at the beginning of the disk. But I gotta tell
you- this reeeeeeaaaaallly sucks. Shame shame shame on cowardly hardware
vendors who let themselves be bullied into selling such anti-customer
products.