[Techtalk] firewire

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Wed Jul 9 09:56:51 EST 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Alvin Goats wrote:

> The 120Meg LS-120 SuperDisk
>
> A 3.5 inch floppy disk with laser index marks between the record tracks
> to help guide the disk heads,

Nope, not this, this is just a hack-around to get over the lack of
accuracy of floppy drive head steppers by putting on laser-read servo
marks.

Bodge.

I'm talking about magneto optical, as in it has a laser that heats the
surface of the disk from the reverse, so that you can cause a state change
in the recording material with the magnetic head on the other side.

Like I said, just like minidisk.

> Hopefully you won't be "bugged" any more! ;)

LS-120 is not a magneto optical drive, it just uses optical read servo
markings :P

I've found something that looks similar to what I remember from fujitsu,
but I haven't found out if this is what I remember:

http://www.geekextreme.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=53

The thing that does strike me is that the front panel and case design is
similar to what I do remember, which is most likely to be a much earlier
version of this, if it is this type of drive.

Maria