[Techtalk] RedHat buggy? (was: Learning distro: Gentoo or Linux From Scratch)

Tracey Grrl Geek grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue Jul 8 12:34:50 EST 2003

I had some problems with RH 8.0 which led me to go back to 7.3 for a
while. I'm now running 9.0 and I've also found it to be buggy.
1 - The installer, if doing an upgrade, does not account for overwriting
old files when calculating needed disk space, therefore upgrading didn't
work on my box. I had to format the old partitions & install as a new
install.
2 - Choosing certain screensavers in XScreensaver (the package that came
on the install CD's that I *bought*) locks the system up solid. Solid =
keyboard lights blinking, no keyboard or mouse response, cannot get to
virtual terminal.
3 - Trying to choose certain options in GToaster (Gnome Toaster) locks
the system up solid per #2
4 - When the system is rebooted after a lockup, it is not able to recover
the journals from the ext3 filesystems. It dumps me into a shell where I
am expected to run fsck. I like the way Mandrake handled this type of
situation better, it had an automatic process that ran the correct fsck
commands automatically and only dropped you into a shell if that
automatic pass failed.

Having the system lock up solid & mess up the file systems as a result of
a screensaver is just insulting.

--
Tracey
Linux Counter #264789

And it was said by Julie-->
> Caitlyn Martin wrote:
>> Is it me, or is RH9 really buggy?  8.0 was remarkably good for a .0
>> release, or for any release for that matter.  6.0 was good too.  5.0,
>> 7.0, and 9 were all problematic.  Wonder if the odd numbers have
>> anything to do with the odd problems... :)
>
> I've had  =lot= fewer problems with RH 9.0 than any other version
> of RH since RH 6.x.
(snip)