[Techtalk] Learning distro: Gentoo or Linux From Scratch

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Jul 7 17:36:33 EST 2003

On Jul 7, Tracey Grrl Geek conjectured:

> Have you tried using the 1.2 boot CD and the latest Stage tarballs? I had
> problems with the 1.4rc2 boot CD and that fixed my problems.

Hmm, I haven't.  I don't know if that's even still available.  I'm using
the most current (1.4rc4), and I've tried from stage 2 and stage 3.  Stage
2 works fine, except that it fails at install-info for groff, because the
directory it's supposed to write to isn't found ... and I know it's there.
Stage 3 has the interesting problem of 1) failing to install groff and 2)
doing /something/ to delete /usr/bin/emerge.  Which is *really* strange,
and very annoying.

It was suggested in #gentoo the other day that the groff package was
somehow fubared.  However, I did 'emerge groff' on this computer and it
worked, then did it on the laptop and it didn't.  It's driving me up a
wall.  I'm really liking gentoo on this computer.  I'm sure I'd like it
even more on a computer which doesn't take half a day to compile Xfree and
its dependencies.

~C

--
Terrorism.  Coups.  Armed conflict.  Any one can seriously cramp your
vacation style.

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt