[Techtalk] Same old question -- which distro?

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Wed Jan 29 21:37:44 EST 2003

I love Mandrake, but I'm starting to get nervous about all the financial
trouble they're having.  I was running 7.1 and upgraded to 8.2 several
months ago.  I then had to rebuild everything after a hard drive
crash... I'm getting ready to implement some form of RAID and want to
make some changes in my partitioning strategy so I'm probably going to
rebuild it again.  I don't want to rebuild it again in six months if
Mandrake isn't successful at renegotiating its debt.

Redhat 7 seems to be widely used... I keep hearing there are issues with
Redhat 8... and the number of mailing list/newsgroup post I see about
this or that not building with Suse makes me a little leary.

I'm sure everyone will give me their true-blue opinion of their
particular distro... but I'm particularly interested in finding out if
someone has experience with multiple distros and can offer information
on why they switched, whether they're happy they switched, how they
measure up against each other and so forth.

Also, I used to know my way around the kernel so building my own is not
entirely out of the question, either.

--
Cheers,
     Brenda