[Techtalk] RESOLVED - Spastic Mouse After Using Virtual Console

Dom Incollingo dom_incollingo at linuxmail.org
Thu Jan 30 02:19:37 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

The problem I reported earlier with a spastic mouse (on SuSE 8.1) after returning to a graphical session from a virtual console has been resolved. The solution was to change the protocol from imps/2 to ps/2.

In the /etc/X11/XF86Config file, the protocol option is now:

   Option  "Protocol" "ps/2" (was "imps/2")

/etc/sysconfig/mouse contains:

   GPM_PROTOCOL="ps2" (was "imps2")
   XMOUSETYPE="ps/2"  (was "imps/2")
   MOUSETYPE="ps2"  (was "imps2")

Although these changes resolved the problem, they prevent the middle mouse button from working.  However, since I very rarely (if ever) use the middle mouse button, this is not a problem for me.

Thanks very much to Johanna, Helen, and Terri for your help with this problem.  Johanna, the only significant difference between the /etc/sysconfig/mouse file that you sent me and my file was the
protocol. Sure enough, when I changed my mouse protocol to ps/2, the spastic behavior disappeared! Thank you.

Helen, the only difference between your /etc/sysconfig/mouse file and mine was the identifier for the mouse device.  Yours was MOUSE="/dev/psaux" and mine was MOUSEDEVICE="/dev/psaux". I changed MOUSEDEVICE to MOUSE, but this change alone did not solve the problem. I would have thought that we could both use protocol imps/2, but perhaps this protocol is incompatible with my mouse (3-button PS/2 scroll mouse - Mitsumi Model-ECM-S5002).  Mandrake has a page (http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/errata.php3) that mentions erratic mouse behavior with the imps2 protocol, so it appears that this problem has been identified for some users (mice).

Finally, I am a bit surprised that the middle mouse button no longer works with the ps/2 protocol, since the SuSE 8.1 Administration Guide (page 136) indicates that the ps/2 protocol can be used for 2- or 3-button mice with a ps/2 connection. But as I mentioned earlier, this isn't really an issue for me.

Thanks again for your help!

Dom