CDRW drives (was Re: [Techtalk] wireless woes)

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Wed Jan 22 21:18:16 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:08:11PM +0000, Conor Daly wrote:
> thread in the archives" response.  Remember to include the URL to the
> archive though!  That allows you to help without worrying that you might
> be giving out bad advice...

Very sage words indeed!

I'm now much further along than I was the first time I posted. Here are
the URLs I've been working from:
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~mjconry/cdrw_help.html
	lists all the modules you'll need
	Note: I did n't find the modules in the same places, but it did
	give me a check list to work from

http://spadger.best.vwh.net/CDR-cdrecord.html
	Using cdrecord

http://linux.ucla.edu/guides/cheatsheet.php3
	cd writing tutorial with cdrecord

http://cdimage.debian.org/~costar/jigdo/
	burning debian CD images

http://shallowsky.com/software/cdplugins/
	Gimp CD labels (recommended by, if not written by someone on this
	list)
http://snaught.com/glabels/download/
	More labels while we're on the topic

I've also had some back and forth mailing with people from this (and other
lists).

> 1.  Tell the kernel that /dev/hdx is to be handled with the ide-scsi
>     emulator.  Add append="hdx=ide-scsi" to lilo.conf

Did that (I used c for x), ran lilo and then recompiled my kernel with some modules that
were missing. Loaded: SCSI CD-ROM support, Enable vendor specific, SCSI
general. Got the list from
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~mjconry/cdrw_help.html
I already had the other modules compiled directly into the kernel. (i.e.
not as optional modules)

> 2.  Make cdrecord available to users (so you don't have to be root).
> 	chmod +x /usr/bin/cdrecord

I've been working as root until I get it working.

> 3.  Tell cdrecord where to find the CDRW drive.
> 	cdrecord -scanbus

This still shows nothing.

> The error you received from cdrecord -scanbus means one of two things:
> 1.  You didn't run it as root and it's not suid (step 2 above) so you
>     don't have permission to access the ide-scsi device.  Run as root and
>     see if you get a result.

Ran it as root with the same result.

> 2.  The ide-scsi module isn't loaded.  As root do

It isn't loaded because it should be compiled directly into the kernel.

> If neither of the above work, you can test if the hdx=ide-scsi kernel
> parameter worked by doing the following:
>
> Insert a CD containing data into the CDRW drive.  As root, do
>
> 	mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrw

debian:/# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrw (as root)
mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel

*grrr* This is compiled into the kernel. It's not a module (although I
just noticed that some of the SCSI emulation stuff is there as modules so
I may have missed loading some modules somewhere. However ide-scsi is
compiled directly in to the kernel). Back to iso9960: It's got a * under
File systems --> ISO 9660 CDROM file system support.

Does anyone know of a chart that has the make menuconfig all expanded with
the names of all the modules?
http://www.rhce2b.com/clublinux/RHCE-14.shtml
has a nice little checklist for rebuilding the kernel, but not a guide to
the kernel (for lack of a better term).

> If the mount command works for /dev/hdx then the kernel ide-scsi parameter
> didn't take effect.  Did you run 'lilo' after you edited /etc/lilo.conf?

Yup. And then recompiled the kernel...

from /etc/lilo.conf:
append="keytimer hdc=ide-scsi"

emma