[Techtalk] DNS configuration

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Wed Jan 22 17:58:41 EST 2003

Vera Childs wrote:
> Ok, so it does need to be set on the server side. I've always specified
> them on the client side, but Mandrake doesn't seem to want me to do that.
> :)

FWIW, don't necessarily assume this is the only way to configure things.
  I used to have a terrible time with my ISP's DNS servers going down --
it was much easier to change my DHCP configuration to use a temporary
DNS and have it propogated across my entire network.

You might also way to talk to hubby about running a cache-and-forward
DNS scenario on the LOAF box... I've switched to this configuration and
it has worked extremely well:  my DHCP server running on 192.168.2.66
puts its own address in domain-name-servers; when a DNS request comes
in, it checks the local cache to see if it can be resolved locally.  If
not, it hits my ISP's DNS as configured in named.conf.  Very efficient.

Also... your earlier post indicated that you had to manually change
resolve.conf after each reboot.  It's possible that DNS has already been
configured on the LOAF box, but configured incorrectly -- causing your
local settings to be overridden.