[Techtalk] SUSE 8.1 PATH?

Andrea Landaker andrea at icecavern.net
Sat Jan 18 13:29:40 EST 2003

> I have installed a newer version of the Java SDK and need to update my
> path. I have looked at
> /etc/profile
> /etc/bash.bashrc
> .profile
> .bashrc
> None of them contain the java path.  .bash_profile doesn't exist
>
> Does anyone know where I could find it?

Well, I don't think Java puts itself in your path by default when you install
it.  Your PATH variable should be in ~/.bashrc, if you have one.  If you
wanted to change it system-wide (for all users), then you would put it in
/etc/profile or /etc/bashrc or wherever your system uses.  Since you're the
only user, though (and you're probably not going to be running Java as root),
your own .bashrc is fine.

You'll probably want:

PATH=path_to_java_bin_directory:${PATH}

as in:

PATH=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1/bin:${PATH}

You'll need to look on your system to see where the java bin directory is.
Since you put the path to your java bin directory before ${PATH}, it will
look there before other places, in case you have a different version of java
in your path somewhere.

I hope this helps you!

--
Andrea Landaker