[Techtalk] graphics working again

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Tue Jan 21 16:00:25 EST 2003

I actually got my video card working again. I went back to some
instructions I had printed out forever ago and found the following:

	apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-src nvidia-kernel-src

I got the second two working, but the first one said "not found"
(basically). Although debian had found a reference to it. I assumed that
all was lost. So I went back to an nvidia "readme" file I'd pulled from
their web site. In the tar file instructions for the impatient it (sort
of) said:

	tar xvf NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX
	cd NVIDIA_kernel
	make install

I didn't think I had a chance in *** of getting it to work (sometimes
desperate measures really do get things working). I did:

	updatedb
	locate NVdriver (referenced in the README file)
	cd into the *kernel source* directory for NVdriver
	make
	startx

Bingo! I can't believe it worked! The step I'd been missing was the "make"
part.

Of course the cdburner still doesn't work, but at least I have a GUI
again. :) It turns out I have a cdburner that needs "IDE SCSI emulation."
I thought I turned that on last night when I recompiled the kernel, but I
get the exact same error as before. The good news is I think I'm no longer
afraid to recompile my kernel. Or maybe that's the bad news. ;)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]