[Techtalk] SUSE 8.1 PATH?

Dom Incollingo dom_incollingo at linuxmail.org
Mon Jan 20 01:26:21 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Gretchen <gretchen_t at myrealbox.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:01:03 -0600
To: "techtalk at linuxchix.org" <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
Subject: [Techtalk] SUSE 8.1 PATH?

> I have installed a newer version of the Java SDK and need to update my path.
> I have looked at
> /etc/profile
> /etc/bash.bashrc
> .profile
> .bashrc
> None of them contain the java path.  .bash_profile doesn't exist
>
> Does anyone know where I could find it?
>
> Gretchen

Hi Gretchen,

I'm also using SuSE 8.1.  I found a file called /etc/profile.d/alljava.sh.  It looks like it is setting my java path, because it contains the following lines:

if [ -x /usr/lib/java/bin/java ] || [ -x /usr/lib/java/bin/jre ] ; then
     export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/java/bin

You could probably modify this file to set your java path to the newer version of the JDK.

Code very similar to the above is also in /etc/profile.d/alljava.csh.  I'm still kind of new to Linux, and I don't know how this file is used.

If you're only concerned with one user, you could also override the java path for that user in the .profile for the one user.  For example, I have updated my .profile with:

PATH=/opt/j2sdk1.4.1_01/bin:/opt/j2sdkee1.3.1/bin:$PATH:/opt/netbeans/bin
export PATH

This probably isn't as clean as updating the profile in /etc, but it seems to work fine for me.

Hope this helps.

Dom