[Techtalk] Which distro?

WolfRyder wolfryder at qwest.net
Thu Jan 9 19:10:51 EST 2003

Okay, I need a few ideas here, please.

I run Suse 8.0,(runs fine, works good) on my home server/R&D computer. I
haven't tried updating my MySQL,  PHP4 and Apache as it's on a closed
network. When I broached the idea of having to update apps software, my
husband (who works with Linux systems as well as FreeBSD and Windows) says
updating Suse is a pain in the backside. (I suspect he doesn't really want
to hold my hand here ;-)  ) What I'm planning on doing is to try the update
and if I break it, so be it. I wanted to try a different distribution anyway.

My dilemma is 2 fold...I don't know how to update linux software, only
install. Any suggestions? Yes, I'll _rtfm_ (hehehe),  but if anyone has any
tips with this particular OS, I would be grateful!

The second is, are there any other Linux recommendations that have easy
software  updates? (I'm even considering FreeBSD.) I also need to know
because whatever I decide to use at home I'm installing at work....yes, at
long last I have the requested computer to convert into a database server
(Yeah!) but it needs to be easy to maintain, update and secure...not asking
much, am I?   ;-) The guy I'm working with on this is leaving it to my
judgement so I really need to make a good decision here. He's never worked
with linux and I would like it to be a "pleasurable linux experience" for
him (and me!).

Carol