[Techtalk] Silent floppy

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 7 00:25:33 EST 2003

Hi All,
	My new floppy in my almost new machine is not yet working. I thought I would
not need a floppy. This is my first attempt assembling a box and first hands
on Linux experience. I started in July 02, tried to raid four,60GB drives,
only to find my raid card was not supported till 2.4.20, I have 2.4.18, 2.4.3
at that time. Got the CD working right away then the CDRW as a read only,
after finding out about a ide-scsi hybrid setting, have yet to write to CDRW
I yanked it for some experiment, it is connected again now but not working.
When the CDRW was working in read-only it sounded like a coffee grinder, it
is a used (16-10-40) $17 e-bay find, maybe I should get as new one? As said
the floppy is claimed and appeared to be new.
	I hope this (below) tells someone something other than, I don't know what I
am doing(yet). If  anyone would care to explain it to me I would be
grateful.
	Of interest is line 16 and 11-13, I have only one FD.
	Although the FD is brand new I don't know if it even spins, **how does one
check for that?** I am only sure the light is on.  I wish it would come on in
my head!!! lol

One CD, one cdrw I have yet to work on, one FD,  two HDs only one w/file
system hdc, Mdrk 8.2.

	thanks in advance,
	Andrew

[root at Linux1 drew]# find / -type f -name fstab
/etc/fstab
find: /mnt/cdrom: Input/output error
1./mnt/floppy/coyote/pkgsrc/etc/etc/fstab
2./home/drew/fd0/coyote/pkgsrc/etc/etc/fstab
3./root/Desktop/Coyote/coyote/pkgsrc/etc/etc/fstab
****
[4.root at Linux1 drew]# cat /etc/fstab
5./dev/hdc5 / reiserfs noatime,notail 1 1
6.none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
7.none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
8./dev/hdc6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
9./mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount
10.dev=/dev/hdb,fs=iso9660,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
11./mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount
12.dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2,exec,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,nosuid
13.0 0
14none /proc proc defaults 0 0
15./dev/hdc1 swap swap defaults 0 0
16.fd0     fd0     ext2     user,owner,exec,dev,nosuid,rwx 0 0mkfs _t
17.[root at Linux1 etc]# mkfs -t ext3 /dev/fd0 1440
18.mkfs.ext3: No such file or directory
19.[root at Linux1 etc]# mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0 1440
20.mke2fs 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
21.mkfs.ext2: Filesystem larger than apparent filesystem size.
22.Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
23./dev/fd0: Read-only file system while setting up superblock
24.[root at Linux1 etc]#