[Techtalk] [FAQ] Techtalk Meta-FAQ

LinuxChix FAQs lcx.faqs at linuxchix.org
Sat Jan 4 20:51:54 EST 2003

   Link: home

                          LinuxChix: Techtalk Meta-FAQ

  Val Henson

   Copyright (c) 2002 by Val Henson. This material may be distributed only
   subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication
   License, v1.0 or later (the latest version is presently available at
   http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/).

   | Revision History                                                       |
   |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
   | Revision 0.1                       | January 2002                      |
   |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
   | Sent out to issues at linuxchix.org for initial comments                  |
   |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
   | Revision 1.0                       | April 2002                        |

   Table of Contents

   Techtalk Meta-FAQ

Techtalk Meta-FAQ

   The latest version of this FAQ can be found at
   http://www.linuxchix.org/content/docs/faqs/techtalk-meta.html

   This FAQ is posted once every month to the <techtalk at linuxchix.org> list.

   Discussion of this FAQ is welcome on the <issues at linuxchix.org> list. It
   is offtopic for the techtalk list itself, please do not direct such
   discussion to the techtalk list.

   The purpose of the LinuxChix project is to provide a friendly,
   woman-oriented environment to discuss Linux. The techtalk mailing list
   exists primarily as a place for female geeks to ask technical questions
   and get answers from other female geeks. Many women posting to this list
   aren't just looking for answers to their technical questions, they're also
   looking for a peer group and a sense of community with other technical
   women.

   While techtalk welcomes helpful and considerate people of any gender, it's
   easy for the mailing list to become overwhelmed by male voices. As long as
   Linux geeks are mostly male, mailing lists about Linux will be mostly
   male, so members of the list should expect to see a lot of male voices.
   But then, how do we fulfill the original purpose of the techtalk list? We
   don't want to kick out all the men, who are productive and helpful members
   of the list. One way to keep the list female-oriented is for the men on
   the techtalk list to self-moderate themselves to some degree.

   How do you self-moderate? When you see a question, stop and think for a
   minute before answering. Wait a few hours and give other people a chance
   to answer first. It's unlikely that the poster needs an answer within a
   few minutes. Consider responding off list, or not at all. If you've been
   answering questions a lot lately, take a break and let other people
   answer. Examine your motives: Could it be that you race to answer
   questions mostly because you want to look smart, and only partly because
   you want to help people?

   When you do answer a question, include how you discovered the answer. Did
   you read a man page? A web page? A book? Did you do a web search? Did the
   programmer in the cubicle next to you tell you the answer? Suggest ways to
   find out more about the topic under question, independently of the mailing
   list. If you were once embarrassed by not knowing the answer to this
   question, tell your story. It helps to remind people that even the gurus
   were once clueless newbies.

   Finally, every time you think about posting, remember that if every
   question on the list is answered in 5 minutes or less by a guru, that
   discourages every single other person on the list from even attempting to
   answer a question. By the time other people have finished reading the
   email, the guru has already sent a detailed, jargon-filled answer. We want
   to encourage people to participate, not discourage them.

   The reason the LinuxChix lists are so popular, techtalk in particular, is
   that they do have a lot of women subscribed and as a result, have a
   different "feel" to them then normal Linux lists. We all like this and
   want to keep it that way. If the list appears to be too male-dominated,
   the women who make techtalk what it is will stop participating and start
   leaving. Help us keep techtalk a friendly and helpful place!