[Techtalk] Success story (brag?)

Brenda Bell bb31l at theotherbell.com
Fri Jan 3 13:29:19 EST 2003

About six months ago, I finally got fed up with M$.  I had one Linux box
running Mandrake 8, but my network was completely controlled by a W2K
server -- gateway/router, DNS, Exchange, IIS, you name it.

There's something wrong when you have to run daily checks for security
updates to the point where you're afraid to look at what's happened to
your server while you were cutting Z's.  We're not going to go there...
but that's how my mission started.

I decided to tackle Internet connectivity first... NetBSD running on an
old 386 with an 8Gb drive with DNS being served by zoneedit.  W2K router
and DNS are gone.

Next, we had to do something about email... installed qmail,
courier-imap and squirrelmail with fetchmail polling our ISP mailboxes
and doing local delivery.  Exchange Server is gone.

Next, in with Apache... IIS is gone.

Then, the unthinkable happened... my hard drive crashed on New Year's
Day and I had to reconstruct the entire Linux server.  This was really a
blessing in disquise because it made me do something I'd been putting
off for months which was to install the latest stable Samba as a domain
controller.  Done.

About 30 minutes ago, I physically yanked the network cable on my W2K
box and my network is humming along like the darn thing never existed.

Life is great... but life without M$ is just too good for words.