[Techtalk] 3 IP blocks, one cisco switch

Jen B jenb at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Jan 3 20:36:22 EST 2003

Hey TechTalkers,

I've got a little Cisco problem, and since you folks have been a
priceless source of info before-I'm hoping someone can bail me out again.

In one of my co-located racks I've got a cisco 2900XL switch.
Drop #1 has 2 seperate IP blocks routed to it (209.73.y.xxx &
209.10.z.xxx)
VLAN1 has an IP of 209.73.y.xx1 for cli administration.
The switch happily services both IP blocks.

I managed to get the cage right next to mine too, and with that comes the
IP block 209.11.w.xxx. I plugged the drop from the new cage into the
switch next door and the macine I IP'd on the new block (209.11.w.xxx)
worked fine but the servers with addresses on the other blocks became
unavailable from outside the cage.

At the time, I didn't have the switch logging anywhere, and I can't
recreate the scenario since it would make my VPN & critical databases
unavailable.

I have other racks with 2900 switches that have multiple network
drops from different providers and didn't have to configure anything
special.

Are there any notions of what I might be doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Jen B

jenb at sdf.lonestar.org
jen at bitchoperatorfromhell.com