[Techtalk] rsync problem copying directory from local machine to server

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Thu Jan 2 17:29:46 EST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, k.clair wrote:

> Well, the remote machine did have rsh enabled at xinetd, and the
> firewall was not blocking those packets (other machines were able to use
> rsync to connect to the remote machine without using -e ssh).
>
> So it must have been blocked on the local machine?

Not neccesarily ..

Could you rsh to the other machine from a shell prompt?

Check .rhosts for the destination user on the remote machine

the file format is "<host> <username>" for each user on each machine that
will need to log in, you will need to have identd enabled on the machine
that the connection is initiated from.

If you have ssh working, I think you probably ought to stick with that,
it's very much more secure.  If you're sure of the security of the
network, you may gain a small performance increase by using rsh instead

good luck

Maria