[Techtalk] Need advice for PC upgrade

2xthefun 2xthefun at madbbs.com
Fri Feb 28 02:52:59 EST 2003

Hi Samantha,

Best of luck with your upgrade.  You might have already checked this, but Red
Hat has a HCL which should indicate if the hardware is compatible or not.  You
can access it by going to http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=hcl. I
don't personally have any linux-experience with the hardware you listed, but I
hope that site works for you.

Deanna

>===== Original Message From "Samer M. Yhya" <samer-yhya at writeme.com> =====
>Hi,
>I?m going to upgrade my 400MHZ PC in a few days and I wanted some advice on
hardware compatibility with Linux. I had trouble running a network card I
bought lately on RedHat8, so this time I?m checking for compatibility first.

>I have RedHat8 and I?m going to format everything and making a clean
installation. I?m only a simple user, so if the hardware will only work after
surgically editing some OS files then please don?t recommend it. I only want
to know if the hardware
>will run right away after installing Linux or with simple configuration. I
added the prices (in euro since I live in Holland) so if someone thinks that
I?m being ripped of, please tell me. also any suggestions for other hardware
is welcome, I?m
>willing to pay a little extra if you think there is something more useful for
my needs.

>After looking at the hardware available in my neighborhood friendly computer
shop I came up with the following configuration: