[Techtalk] Apache, abuse and nonexistent domains.

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Tue Feb 25 14:36:48 EST 2003

>I'd like to caution against sending complaints automatically (digging up
>the address automatically I have no problems with)

You have an excellent point. In fact, upon closer examination, I noticed
that the "abuse" in question was an attempt to contact another server on
port 80 (HTTP), not port 25 (outgoing mail). So it would be wrong to file a
spam complaint based on that request.

Nevertheless, the case you mentioned was a legitimate e-mail that was
mistaken for spam. But there is no legitimate reason to use a web server as
an SMTP proxy, is there?

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
    They've signed me up for every advertising campaign
    and mailing list there is. These people are out of
    their minds. They're harassing me.
        - spam tycoon Alan Ralsky, who was signed up for tons of
          (paper) junk mail after publicly proclaiming that
          he had no regrets about his spam empire.