[Techtalk] Help, I'm stumbling on the PATH

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Feb 24 13:15:44 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003, Beth Johnson wrote:
> Can I just add the java stuff and a PATH statement, say after the USER
> but before the export, like this:
> PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
> and have that work out all right?  Is that what I'm meant to do?

It's normally safe to add things like that as the very last line of the
file. Another part of the reason for adding them there is that, not only
do you not want to put them in the middle of a if statement, the rest of
the file sometimes is also chaning $PATH, and you tend to want to tack
you changes on the end of them.

-Mary