[Techtalk] cross-platform, cross-browser testing

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Feb 21 08:31:32 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> At this point I'm considering my options for creating a testing platform.
> Most of the articles that have been written on this topic assume that
> you're starting with either Windows or a Mac and want to test Mac or
> Windows. If I don't want to have to dual boot I see myself having three
> 	- windows emulation (wine, crossover, plex86)
> 	- virtual machine (not sure what this is really called, but think VMWare)
> 	- buy a second, cheapo windows machine for the same $$ I'd spend on
> 	  VMWare

It is possible at the moment to get IE4 and IE5 running under WINE - so
you'll be using the real IE rendering engine. It is apparently not as
easy as various triumphant mailing list posts claim, but if people
interested contact me off list, I can put you in contact with people I
know who did it (I don't want to advertise their email addresses to the
entire list and archives of course!)

IE6 has a fairly sophisticated renderer and normally pages that work on
Mozilla work on IE6, so you *may* be able to just occasionally test on
IE6.

-Mary