[Techtalk] Sysgen question (Telsa?)

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Feb 13 00:39:34 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:20:43PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Caitlyn M. Martin thought:

> Here's the problem:  the Red Hat installer doesn't recognize the PCMCIA
> slot.  This is well documented on the web.  That means NFS and PCMCIA
> CD-ROM installs are right out.  The hard drive is too small to
> accommodate the ISO images and an installed OS.  Also, I can't remove

Can you boot from CD?  Of course that doesn't guarantee that the installer
will access the CD even if it booted from it.  However, you _might_ be
able to boot the lnx BBC[0], fire up the PCMCIA NIC and dd an image
across the network.  Another possibility is to boot from a floppy that can
load the PCMCIA slot.

I have a doc somewhere at work detailing a cloning method using dd and
netcat.  Essentially, you run netcat in listen mode on the target machine
thus:

nc -l | dd if=- of=/dev/hda

and run dd into netcat on the source machine:

dd if=image.file of=- | nc -<switches>

There's a bit more to it than just the above but that's the essence of it.
If it looks to be a likely prospect, shout and I'll post the details.

Conor

[0] Bootable Business Card 50Mb iso http://lnx-bbc.org

Domestic Sysadmin :-)