[Techtalk] improving computer usage in schools

Diggy Bell diggy at dbsoftdev.com
Wed Feb 12 23:34:08 EST 2003

Lea,

I've been doing some work with education applications and have come across a
couple of very interesting uses for Linux in the school environment.

First, there are two projects that you may want to look at:

1. http://www.schoolforge.net

This looks to be an information resource for schools using Linux tools.

2. http://www.ltsp.org

This is a Linux terminal server configuration that can use 486 and higher
machines as X terminals into a server.

In particular, LTSP is something that schools could really benefit from.
Schools rarely have the latest hardware, but they frequently have the
opportunity to obtain equipment that is being phased out of businesses.  In
the M$ world, the slower pentium and 486 computers are essentially useless
to the schools.  But with LTSP, a school can quickly increase the number of
available workstations without a large expenditure for hardware or software
licensing.

With LTSP in place, a few faster machines can be configured as servers.  In
some cases, it may make sense to have the servers dedicated per class room
or academic department.  If there is adequate hardware available, it would
even be possible to setup networked home directories.  Users would
effortlessly have an office suite, email and browser.

What are the benefits to the school?

I. Significant increase in available workstations.
II. A manageable environment for student accounts.
III. Reduced administrative cost for software updates.
IV. Reduced risk from virii and worms.
V. Reduced software licensing.
VI. Reduced hardware costs.
VII. Fully leverage donated equipment.

<LinuxAdvocate>

If you put on a marketing hat for a minute (sorry...I'm an engineer, but I
try :P ), exposing kids to Linux will have a long term impact on its growth
in other areas.  The primary reason many companies have spent millions of
dollars on M$ software is that people know it.  In five years, today's 9th
grade student will be in the workforce.  If they're already comfortable
Linux, it will make it that much easier to Linux to move farther into other
sectors.

</LinuxAdvocate>

Just a little food for thought...

William D. 'Diggy' Bell