[Techtalk] improving computer usage in schools

Lea de Groot lea.linuxchix.org at viking.org.au
Wed Feb 12 11:08:21 EST 2003

We had an info session at my kids school last night on what they are doing
this year, and I stuck my hand up to ask what they are using that shiny new
computer lab for.
Well, the lovely teacher tells me, she's hoping to get the kids on the
internet, and they have some nice spelling and maths programs.
*sigh*
I'm thinking they can do a lot better than that in teaching kids to really use
their computers.
My initial thoughts were:
- the school could deploy a wiki, and let the kids loose on it to see what
they build
- the kids could each have an email address, but restrict it so that they can
only get internal mail (the kids are from 5 - ~ 11)

I got into this, and I decided the best thing to do was to write a paper on
just what they could do, how it would be deployed and what benefits it would
get them.
I was wondering who here has experience in making this sort of proposal to
their kid's school, and if anyone can think up anything else that would be
fun and useful in using their resources?

The really downside is I'm pretty sure they are only running windows, but I
figure one battle at a time...

TIA!
Lea