[Techtalk] Automatically running daemons on startup

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Fri Feb 7 15:25:20 EST 2003

 >  su username_to_run_as -c "daemon with args"

Thanks. I didn't know that trick.

>Before you go diving into writing a full blown rc.d initscript, is what you
>want to do something that can be appended to the end of rc.local??

I understood that changing rc.local was a quick-and-dirty way. Among other
things, this means that the daemon isn't automatically shut down. Of
course, it's a nice daemon and will shut down when it receives the TERM
signal, but I wanted to do a nicer job than that.

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
  [Larry] Wall [inventor of Perl] believes that people think about
  things in different ways, that natural languages accommodate many
  mindsets, and that programming languages should too.
    - Jon Udell, in his essay, "A Perl Hacker in the Land of Python"