[Techtalk] delete mail from the server

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Dec 31 10:48:55 EST 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 06:14, noir noir wrote:
> LOL, Rasjid. Thanks for the recommendation. But I find
> it hard to believe s/o somewhere has not written
> something like this!

It has probably been written several times, in several different ways.
Finding it will be the interesting part.  I wrote the python script in about
30 minutes, despite never having used that particular library and having to
research parts of the IMAP RFC, which is almost certainly less time that I
would have spent searching for an exisiting program.  Of course, I did have
an alternative motive, which is I wanted to familiarise myself with the
imaplib in python anyway.

In terms of existing programs, my guess is that some of the POP3 based
anti-spam utilities will do what you want.

> I will do a few more research and
> if I fail to find anything, see you in the programming
> list w/ a few stupid Perl questions :)

The Python script I posted does work, so you can just use it as is.  :-p

Perl gives me headaches, so I will only program in it under duress.  ;-)  As a
result it is probably best if others answer any Perl questions, although I do
know a little about the Perl Imap library, since I recently had to patch a
program that used it.  (Duress = the only program I can find that does what I
want is in Perl not Python, but has a minor bug that needs fixing.)

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox