[Techtalk] cut off man pages

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Dec 29 12:17:51 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 01:55:28PM +0600 or thereabouts, Noir wrote:
> I, sometimes, have to take notes off man pages. I was wondering if there's
> any way I can *copy* specific parts/ lines of man pages and *paste* it in
> another text file while being in the console mode. I use vim 6.1.

Run screen and use screen's copy and paste facilities? I am told
it has them. I never do remember how to use them though..

Do you want the formatting preserved, btw? Is there a reason you
don't just do "man foo | col -b > filename" (you need the col -b
to remove all the control characters that otherwise show up) and
then edit whatever you called filename to leave only what you
need?

Telsa