[Techtalk] Null modem cable

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 17:15:45 EST 2003

Wednesday, December 17, 2003, 2:56:21 PM, ed orphan wrote:

> Can you make a serial port connection between
> two Linux boxes with a null cable?  If so, would
> you use minicom to move files between them,
> or is it more complex than that ?

Yes, you can, and you could do that.  Alternatively, you could use PPP
or SLIP between them.  The Serial Laplink HOWTO covers using pppd...
it's a couple of years old, but is probably still good:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Laplink-HOWTO/index.html

Another way to connect is through a laplink cable and the PLIP module;
this gives considerably higher speed than you can get on a serial
cable.  I haven't done this in years, though, and don't know how well
supported it is any more.  There's a mini-HOWTO on it from 1998:

  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/PLIP.html

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net