[Techtalk] vi clones

Tracey Clark grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue Dec 9 12:56:49 EST 2003

And it was said by Nadiah Kristensen-->
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 05:04:48PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
>> What's your fave vi clone, or do you prefer good ole vi itself?

Command line I prefer vim. In a GUI I prefer gvim. I try to stay with
something relatively close to vi because it's the one editor that is on
nearly every *nix installation, so I can at edit config files on just
about anything.

> I'd recommend gvim to anyone who is new to vi. It comes with nice
> colouring and the gui buttons are nifty for those who don't know the
> commands yet.

Excellent suggestion. gvim helped me out when I was first learning vi and
it's keybindings. IIRC on the chix lists there was talk about learning vi
at the command line just to learn it at the command line & someone
(Carla?) said "That way lies madness". It still makes me giggle.

> I can only marvel at the evil genius who created it. It began as an
> amusing usrfriendly cartoon ...
> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20000108
> And then someone went and created it.

*cackle* Ah, the beauty of programmers' creativity.

--
Tracey
Linux Counter #264789