[Techtalk] vi clones

Nadiah Kristensen elendil at maths.uq.edu.au
Tue Dec 9 12:28:28 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 05:04:48PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> What's your fave vi clone, or do you prefer good ole vi itself?

I'd recommend gvim to anyone who is new to vi. It comes with nice
colouring and the gui buttons are nifty for those who don't know the
commands yet. There is one for windos as well. After a while, though,
I had little need for the friendly interface and just started using
vim. So, yes, a valuable tool for starting out with.

> I've found a number of cutely-named clones, though not all of them are
> actively maintained anymore: vim, elvis, vile, calvin, vigor, viper,

No, no, not Vigor!

I can only marvel at the evil genius who created it. It began as an
amusing usrfriendly cartoon ...
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20000108
And then someone went and created it.

Oh, the humanity,