[Techtalk] Shutting off X ports.

joe shindlin jojotheracoon at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 06:51:41 EST 2003

Hi laura! I can't quote the original message because
somehow i lost that(yahoo, don't ask)
i am conflicted, i ran nmap in reply to another
message, the result's are...

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA34 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
(The 1550 ports scanned but not shown below are in
state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
37/tcp     open        time
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
113/tcp    open        auth
515/tcp    open        printer
6000/tcp   open        X11

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned
in 0 seconds

*but* i ran a port scan at a website and it show's the
port's 6000-6255 to be what that site called stealth,
which mean's not seen from the internet, better than
closed i hear. So in this case must i worry, i have my
firewall configured to reject remote connection's, and
to only except connection's originating from my box. I
want to be *very* secure, any input you or anyone has
would be greatfully accepted! :)
Joe.