[Techtalk] Recovery CDs and partimage/mondo

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Aug 26 21:12:06 EST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 01:29:19PM +0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Carlo Hamalainen thought:
> Hi,
>
> A few days ago some people were talking about using Mondo to make their
> own recovery CDs of, say, Windows XP partitions.
>
> I found that Partimage did a great job of backing up my NTFS partition.
> A 10Gb partition with 4Gb of data became about 2Gb of image files. Even
> though NTFS support is experimental, it worked perfectly. It does many
> other types of partitions too.
>
> Mondo (at least the versions I found) were not able to skip empty blocks
> and ended up producing huge images, which isn't convenient for burning
> to CDRWs.

Unstable version 1.7x of mondo has support for partimage as the NTFS
imaging tool. It requires Hugo Rabson's (mondo author) hacked partimage
which is available from http://www.mondorescue.org as a package called
"partimagehack" so it can install alongside partimage.

I don't have any NTFS partitions to worry about so I haven't tested it...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)