[Techtalk] Debian apt and dpkg help, please

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Mon Aug 25 17:43:21 EST 2003

Hi,

> If you want to usually use debian testing, but occasionally get
> packages from unstable, you can use "pinning" instead of
> commenting/uncommenting lines in apt-sources.

There's another method which might also work.

In your sources.list, include both testing and unstable sources and then in
apt.conf, add the line APT::Default-Release "testing";

You'll then get testing packages by default, and when you want to pull
something from unstable, then use the command ap-get install -t unstable xyz

I do this because the whole pinning business goes way over my head :-)

Hamster