[Techtalk] Debian apt and dpkg help, please

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Aug 24 11:52:53 EST 2003

On Sunday 24 August 2003 11:10 am, Maria Blackmore wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > I'm still getting the hang of apt-get and dpkg. I ran apt-get
> > dist-upgrade, just to see what would happen.
>
> Hello,
>
> Some of homo sapien's greatest achievements came about like this.
>
> "I wonder what will happen if we do $thing"
>
> Of course, so did some of homo sapien's greatest disasters.
>
> "I wonder what will happen if we turn off this cooling pump ..."
>
> :)

And knowledge is thereby advanced. :)
> :
> > It massively upgraded KDE, and a few other things.
>
> Did you do "apt-get update" first?

Yup

> > KDE came through the process with a few glitches, the infamous
> > "subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1"
> > error.
>
> "something broke"

Wow, how enlightening. :)

> > The exact error message:
> >
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  /var/cache/apt/archives/libarts1_1.1.3-0woody1_i386.deb
> >  /var/cache/apt/archives/libartsc0_1.1.3-0woody1_i386.deb
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

<snip>

> now ... er ... I might be doing something a bit weird here, but my woody
> machine doesn't know anything about this package...

Unless I'm missing something, these packages are not on debian.org. They are
on a number of mirrors,
http://www.google.com/search?q=libartsc0_1.1.3-0woody1_i386.deb
which segues nicely to the next question:

> What do you have in your sources.list?

#Libranet
deb http://libranetlinux.com updates/2.7/
deb http://libranetlinux.com security/2.7/

#Debian
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1.3/Debian stable main

#deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free

#Debian Non-US
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ woody/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/ woody/non-US main contrib non-free

#Debian security updates
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib
non-free
#deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib
non-free

See, nothing exciting. I think I want to add one of the mirrors that has them,
instead of messing with unstable. Which I've been trying to do, but I'm not
getting the @#$ syntax right to make sources.list happy. See, these are the
little pitfalls that drive people back to windoze.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to the sekkrit syntax? This is where they are:
http://kde.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.1/Debian/pool/main/a/arts/

thanks much,
Carla