[Techtalk] RE: MBR & XP

Robyn Manning rmanning at adam.com.au
Mon Aug 18 04:08:20 EST 2003

Hi

Fat16 can't handle long filenames and it doesn't understand NTFS unless
you can get your filesystem back to NTFS and do the repairs from there
you have no files ie no c:\windows no c:\Program Files and so on you
just have a few unreadable file names with ridiculous sizes. This is the
best guess that fat16 can make of your NTFS.

In getting the filesystem back to NTFS you've probably lost everything.

Robyn

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 22:18, - - wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the unreadable characters are because the file system has been changed - it was NTFS, but when I did a 'map' in Recovery Console, it is shown 'fat16'.
>
> And I know (I think) the boot.ini is not there, as the dir command shows all the files are very large size.
>
> Am I right?
>
> I can't get a Norton CD. So, I was thinking about to create the boot.ini in Recovery Console (dos promot). But I don't know how to do it.
>
> I was also thinking about to zip my data in Recovery Console. Is that possible to do it?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> MQA
>

> Robyn Manning <rmanning at adam.com.au> wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you can get a Norton System Works CD or Norton Utilities CD that is
> compatible with XP I think you can boot from it and run Disk Doctor from
> the CD. Don't set it to fix automatically.
>
> As a last resort try scandisk. Then it's format if you can't fix it.
>
> Robyn
>
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 22:14, - - wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can find the scandisk after booting up the pc with
> > the XP CD. Also the redirection
> >
> > dir > dir.txt
> >
> > and the
> >
> > attrib *.*
> >
> > don't work.
> >
> > Is there any other thing I can try? I really really
> > don't want to reformat my hard disk.
> >
> > Thanks heaps
> >
> > MQA
> >

> > --- - - wrote:
> > > Thanks Robyn.
> > >
> > > No, I can't read anything except the ones I copied
> > > across (ntldr & ntdetect).
> > >
> > > There is no flopy driver with my notebook. I could
> > > use usb memory key when the XP was working, however,
> > > after booting the notebook up using XP boot CD and
> > > put the usb memory key in, the notebook hangs...
> > >

> > > Robyn Manning wrote:
> > > There may be a demo or template one on the cd
> > > otherwise I can send you
> > > one. There was one written out for you in a previous
> > > email.
> > >
> > > You need to do something about those unreadable
> > > characters, until you do
> > > those file/directories are unreadable. Is the
> > > c:\windows directory there
> > > and readable also the c:\Program Files directory.
> > > Can you put a
> > > directory listing in an email. I think the command
> > > is
> > >
> > > dir > dir.txt
> > >
> > > then dir.txt should have the directory listing in
> > > it, copy it to a
> > > floppy and paste it into an email.
> > >
> > > hth
> > >
> > > Robyn

> > > file/directory names should be. :<

> > > and it is put in c:\>

> > > these where filenames

> > > run scandisk or Norton
> > > versions !!.

> > > my XP

> > > Can't

> [...]
You are slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.